The Women and Girls Foundation is excited to begin accepting applications for our 2015 GirlGov programming year. We hope you can help to let girls (and their parents) in your network know about this exciting opportunity and encourage them to apply!
The Women and Girls Foundation’s Sixth Annual GirlGov programming year kicks off with a four day trip to visit the State Capitol June 14th through 17th. GirlGov, created by teen women for teen women, is designed to provide local girls with the opportunity to learn, first hand, about government, community involvement, women’s history, and leadership. Participants will shadow a state legislator and learn about current public policy issues impacting women’s and girls’ lives in our region. The program is open to all girls entering 9th to 12th grade in the Fall of 2015 who live in Allegheny, Fayette, Greene, Washington, and Westmoreland Counties. Past GirlGov participants are welcome to apply. Transportation, overnight accommodations, and meals are included; there is no fee to participate.
This year’s program promises to be our biggest and best yet! Participants will have opportunities to:
- Shadow a state legislator for a day at the Pennsylvania State Capitol in Harrisburg;
- Learn about philanthropy and grantmaking, and award $10,000 to local girl-led projects;
- Explore nonprofit and government career options;
- Discuss issues affecting women and girls with key decision makers;
- Meet and hear from accomplished women working in and with government;
- Become (more) involved in community civics;
- Most of all — have fun!
How you can help:
- Publish information about this opportunity in your organization’s newsletter, website, and social media
- Mention this opportunity at your next staff, board, or committee meeting
Please go to www.girlgov.org to apply to be in the 2015 GirlGov program. Application deadline is Friday, April 24th. Thank you in advance for your help in reaching teen girls in your network. Please do not hesitate to contact Blayre Holmes directly at 412-258-2567 or email@example.com if you have further questions or would like hard copies of the GirlGov applications for distribution.